* Arequipa is called the "White City" because much of it is built out of sillar, a kind of white volcanic ash.
* Arequipa is the the second largest city in Peru with one million inhabitants.
* Arequipa is located at an altitude of 2325 meters (7,627 feet) in the desert mountains of the Andes.
* Significant landmarks include Plaza de Armas, the magnificent Catedral and a volcano known as El Mista (the Gentleman).
* Arequipa is also known as the city of eternal Spring.
* The Spanish settled Arequipa in 1540.
* The weather in Arequipa is sunny and dry all year long, with an average monthly temperature of 58 degrees. The average rainfall per year is about four inches.
* There are 12 LDS missions in Peru, including five alone in Lima
* The LDS temple in Lima was built in 1986. A temple in Trujillo will be dedicated later this month. A temple site in Arequipa was announced in October of 2012 but construction has yet to begin.
* There are 557,328 members of the LDS church in Peru.
* The LDS missionary training center in Peru also serves Ecuador and Bolivia.